Sunday, February 8, 2015

Mind map and Concept boards

This was my first time in making a mind map. I learnt how to do it from Ms. Mia, and she gave the class pictures of examples from past students who have done it before. Through that, I decided to search the web for more examples of mind maps because after the class ended, I was not sure that I got the right points of the mechanism of a mood board. So after I went home, I searched the web and found more examples and explanations. I finally understood and I started working on my mind map assessment the next day. 
So this class , Creativity and Concept Development, has assessments that are linked with each other. In the end, all of our assessments will be combined and we will have an end project of a particular interior of a particular function that we have chosen in the first place (when making the mind map). First of all we will make the mind map, then we will make the concept board and concept analysis, then we will make the concept development, and then the creative journal goes along the way, and finally the end combination of all of our analysation that will result in an interior of a function. 
For this, I have chosen a bistro as my function. Before I chose bistro, I was thinking of choosing a cafe as a function, because I thought that a cafe was nice, quick and useful for everyone anywhere. Then I thought that, I would personally own a bistro, but not only because of that, it’s because bistros sell small to main courses that people would enjoy and take more time visiting.  People must be provided with more comfort since they will be coming more often and longer than to a cafe, and because of that more interior would be needed to be designed, and I would love to take that challenge and make something pleasant. Aside from that, I thought that a cafe was too mainstream, a lot of people have used it instead of a restaurant, but if I chose a restaurant it would be too large to think and analyse about every single detail. So in the end I chose a bistro, which technically serves between a cafe and a restaurant. Secondly, we have to decide on a topic. I had only 2 topics, but my other classmates had 3 which was the original number of topics needed. But Ms. Mia said it was okay ( by that time I was already in front of her presenting my topics when she cancelled “retro” which was my 3rd topic but I didn’t know that retro was a style, and not a topic, so I had no other quick idea to whip out at that time). My 2 topics were teddy bear and flower. I did not choose teddy bear because teddy bear was just too much of a risk and there’s too much careful analysing needed, in which I was scared that I could do wrong on something and ruin the whole thing (for example putting teddy bear in every single corner of the place). So in the end I chose flower. Though, in the back of my mind I did not really want the topic flower because I was so bored in seeing literal flower themed cafes around Jakarta. But then I thought about it again that it’s actually an advantage, for I will be using some of the inspiration from what I have seen on the web and incorporate it in my own design (but of course, not plagiarising it, it’s just reference). I was hesitant in going too off topic for the mind maps, I was scared of writing something totally irrelevant with the actual matter, but in the end it turns out that the more clever I am able to analyse the connections, the better more things will connect and make sense.
Topic mind map (flower)
Function mind map
As for my function, I decided that I wanted a cafe, because I could easily pass for a small and simple cafe. But then again it wouldn’t be challenging at all. And instead of getting good marks I might end up getting the opposite. Plus, it would be more fun in decorating more space if I made something else. In the end I decided on a bistro. A bistro is a small restaurant. I have been to many bistros in my life, it feels similar to a cafe, but it actually serves main courses, but not as many as a normal restaurant. Therefore speaking of sizes, it is relatively smaller than a restaurant but bigger than a cafe. In addition to that, not many people have chosen bistro. Actually nobody chose that in my class. I don’t know about the past students, but having uniqueness is very satisfying for me. I get to stand out on my own with my bistro, instead of blending with the crowd in a restaurant.
Concept diagram
Flower + Bistro ^Georgian & Nature Style = Gardenistro
I really like the end result. Everything clicks together. I feel satisfied whenever everything looks perfect for each other (I don’t mean to say it’s perfect but I mean they fit each other perfectly). I chose Georgian style because Georgian style is nice and elegant but it has a bit of a classic style and it fits perfectly with something flowery. I chose nature style because I would want to feel natural because flowers are from nature and I want to make people feel the surrounding environment of a flower and that it all connects with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment